Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Stressed

I've been a bit stressed lately. Why... is a topic for another day. Today's topic is the result of stress. Sometimes when stressed I get depressed. I shut-down. I don't want to do anything, see anyone, or talk to anyone. This happens rarely and is usually coupled with something else (ahem, pregnancy hormones pumping through my body). Normally I get agitated and focus my energies into cleaning.

And I clean and clean. In two days alone I cleaned my kitchen, living room, laundry (this included folding and putting away the clothes, which I hate), swept and mopped my entire house (which is no small feat considering my entire house, except for the bedrooms, is a combination of laminate and tile flooring), and dusted. All of this on top of my day-to-day taking care of the kids, making dinner, and the hours I've spent outside of the home attending to other things. What makes it even better is I haven't given in to the second part of my stress-ness - eating junk food. I like my comfort food and have been craving a nice juicy burger all week. Instead I've made dinner at home and kept within our new healthy-living eating habits. Tonight's menu: Veggie burgers, hopefully it will curb my burger craving. Hopefully.

My husband has said I need to get out by myself, maybe go to Barnes & Noble or something. However, due to obligations in the evenings between the two of us this hasn't happened yet. Maybe it's time to take this energy to the spare bedroom and finish unpacking and finally set up my office?

All of this has made me curious - what do other people do when they are stressed? Are you a cleaner like me? Or do you curl up with a pint of ice cream and a good chick-flick? And how do you manage your stress? Do you have a hobby that helps take your mind off things? Or do you go drool over all of the books at Barnes & Noble?

6 comments:

  1. cleaner - my husband hates it when I go on my cleaning rampages (it usually involves me yelling about how no one can put things away) but it keeps our house tidy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i go for a run with my music blasting, then come home and eat a pint of icecream... lol. I yell or cry, do whatever I can do to calm the hormones that are making me crazy, then i fall off the map, don't do anything or go anywhere for a while, it all works out in the end, I wish i was a cleaner though, then at least the house would be clean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not very good at handling stress. I mostly just shut down. and cry. and yell. and call Spencer all sort of horrid names. I just get so overwhelmed that I just crawl into a little hole in my chest and sit around and do nothing. Not very healthy, to say the least.

    As for what I do to handle it, I guess mostly I try to take whatever is stressing me out and break it down to a manageable size. Ex: if it's my disaster of a house, I'll focus on doing the dishes or wiping down the bathroom. After I finish the task, I reward myself in some way (eating a treat, reading a few chapters, etc).

    Other ways to let go of my stress: a real live date with my husband, going out with a girlfriend(s), going shopping with at least a little money I don't feel guilty spending, and doing something productive, however small.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't talk...then when I do I let it all out and let everyone know that I need help around the house!! My husband happens to be a very good listener! My parents were never yellers, so I'm not one.

    How I handle stress is another problem all together! I have to get the stress out or it consumes me! I go in my room and read or lay in my bed all day. And I don't want to do ANYTHING! which isn't really good. Like I said my husband is a good listener, my mom is too!

    When I was younger and had small children to deal w/ I HAD to get out of the house for my sanity! I enrolled in a toll painting class and that was the greatest stress reliever I have ever had. I was so much more happier! One definitly needs to find a hobby or outlet and then LEAVE the house. If you don't remove yourself from the situation, it can eat you alive. That's it for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with getting out of the house helps me. I don't think I handle stress very well...at least daily stresses. Big things I can handle then I have a mini break-down afterward :\ I find working on something productive helps me- a painting project, an organizing project, etc. It seems to balance things...When I'm really sad and stressed, though, I shut off. I'll continue with my daily life, but I kinda just put my emotions aside and spend all my free time reading, sleeping, etc. That is the worst 'cause it will intermingle with bouts of crying,screaming...BUT, I don't let it get me there...

    Find something you like to do and do it. Whether it is exercising, crafting, cooking, etc. Do that. Then, get out of the house. Even if I don't want to go anywhere, I find that getting out resets me. Even if it is spent a couple of hours grocery shopping. You hear how to be good mothers, wives, etc. you need to take care of yourself first, and despite many of our self-sacraficing doings, I think it is probably true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uggh, that was me, Liberty...DEFINITELY not Kit. ;)

    ReplyDelete